Saturday, January 30, 2010

Treasure at Our Feet














It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves,

and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
- Agnes Repplier


If forced to name them, the biggest obstacles to peace are ourselves and the world. Often en route to the truth of my soul, I get stuck on myself or lost in the world. Or the reverse.

Still we carry the treasured essence within. It is always with us, very near thought it may seem far, and there is no place else to find the treasure but underneath our agitation. It waits there like gold on the bottom of a shallow lake, and though we stand in the water, the treasure at our feet, this stirring of our reflection keeps us from seeing. More often than not, I need to stop moving and thinking and fixing, and simply reach within myself.

So run, if you like, for it will all come with you. Or think and reason as many times as you must, for your heart will outlast the ripples of your thought. Or blame the things ( or people) of this world if you need to, for the things you blame will eventually disappear.

Then you and I will still be left with ourselves and the world and the treasure at our feet.